Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
1 enlarged tonsil and white patches on throat
moem58 posted:
Hello, I am a 58 year old woman. I was a moderate-light smoker from age 15 to 34. I was a binge drinker also (on weekends). Recently, I developed light pain near my left tonsil when swallowing or yawning. I also noticed light, small white patches on my throat and my left tonsil is about 2x the size of my right tonsil. My tonsils were equal sizes in the past. The left tonsil looks like it has an extra band of flesh around it and it has an amorphous shapebut it is the same color as the right one. My PCP tested for strep. It was negative. I have not been sick. I don't have swollen glands or lymph nodes. I saw an ENT who did a laryngoscopy and said she didn't see cancer. She denied that the tonsils looked different or that their were white patches on my throat (but both myself and my PCP noticed that). She also said that my left tonsil felt soft and if there was a tumor it would feel hard. She explained my discomfort, extra phlegm after eating to GERD which I believe I have but it is just an additional problem. I take ibuprofen, low dose climara, aspirin and I have Degenerative cervical disc disease but that is all. I am worried I have cancer. I haven't lost weight and I feel fine. Perhaps it is early stage cancer.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
If you are that worried, then by all means see a different ENT for a second opinion -- this is not something that I could blindly provide for you over the Internet since I cannot examine you first hand.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.