Includes Expert Content
Hot Ears
hoteardungles posted:
My ears are so hot! A girl walks by and they get hot. I look at Excel files and they get hot. I go to the bathroom and they get hot. Help me!!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
This is a relatively frequent question on the Ear, Nose, and Throat Community board. Red, hot ears are interesting phenomena that many people experience. For some unknown reason, warm, oxygen-rich blood is being shunted to your outer ears. This is a considered a variation of simple blushing. Sometimes, people can even experience pain when this happens"026not just embarrassment.

If your problem is severe, there are only a few medical options to treat it. Some ENTs use beta-blockers (drugs that are traditionally used to treat high blood pressure and other cardiac problems). Sometimes beta-blockers will help"026sometimes they don't.

Or, you can wear a hat or grow long hair to hide those red ears.

DunglesMcgee replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Hey Dr. Moser,

It's me again (different username since I forgot my password to the other one.. probably was having a hot ear fit). It's been 3 days and I haven't had any symptoms. Thank you for your response, I'm glad to know that there are ways to solve my problem outside of looking like a bum with long hair and a hat at work (my boss wouldn't like that). I do have another question.. I'm worried that I might have related symptoms to hot ear. I have a hiccurping problem (hiccup/burping) and I get sneezing fits at other times (10 sneezes in a row). Is it true that if I were to sneeze, hiccup, and burp all at the same time, that I could die? My mom tells me that and I'm scared.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to DunglesMcgee's response:
No, it is sneeze, hiccup, burp and FART at the same time! No, this not true. You will not die, even if you do all four.