Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Hot Ears
hoteardungles posted:
My ears are so hot! A girl walks by and they get hot. I look at Excel files and they get hot. I go to the bathroom and they get hot. Help me!!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
This is a relatively frequent question on the Ear, Nose, and Throat Community board. Red, hot ears are interesting phenomena that many people experience. For some unknown reason, warm, oxygen-rich blood is being shunted to your outer ears. This is a considered a variation of simple blushing. Sometimes, people can even experience pain when this happens"026not just embarrassment.

If your problem is severe, there are only a few medical options to treat it. Some ENTs use beta-blockers (drugs that are traditionally used to treat high blood pressure and other cardiac problems). Sometimes beta-blockers will help"026sometimes they don't.

Or, you can wear a hat or grow long hair to hide those red ears.

DunglesMcgee replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Hey Dr. Moser,

It's me again (different username since I forgot my password to the other one.. probably was having a hot ear fit). It's been 3 days and I haven't had any symptoms. Thank you for your response, I'm glad to know that there are ways to solve my problem outside of looking like a bum with long hair and a hat at work (my boss wouldn't like that). I do have another question.. I'm worried that I might have related symptoms to hot ear. I have a hiccurping problem (hiccup/burping) and I get sneezing fits at other times (10 sneezes in a row). Is it true that if I were to sneeze, hiccup, and burp all at the same time, that I could die? My mom tells me that and I'm scared.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to DunglesMcgee's response:
No, it is sneeze, hiccup, burp and FART at the same time! No, this not true. You will not die, even if you do all four.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.