Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Apparently I have a kazoo jammed up my nose.
Seitchev posted:
Hallo. I've had Eustachian Dysfunction symptoms for many years, including ear popping when I swallow or open my mouth wide, feeling of 'fullness' in my right ear, periodic episodes of autophony, and a general declining loss of singing ability. I used to make my living with my voice, but now I'm all pitchy and can't hear myself properly. I also have TMJ disorder, jaw cracks loudly on left side whenever I move my jaw, most noticeably when I chew. Lastly, I suffer from chronic sinusits.

I love to sing, and I frequently swallow and open my mouth wide to try to clear my tube, a strange personal affectation that I'd like to stop doing. Sometimes it helps, but never for very long. I also frequently spray saline into my sinuses, hang my head backwards over the edge of the bed for a few minutes, then spend ten minutes alternating between pressure points to drain the sinus cavities, which helps alleviate my near-constant drainage. Sometimes I use a neti-pot thing (it's not a neti-pot, but similar) to flush my sinuses, but I can't blow my nose properly afterwards because I get this squeaking sound and pain in my right tube when I do. I read something a minute ago about a 'Politzer Maneuver', I'm gonna go get my baby's nasal aspirator and give it a go when I'm done here.

My current problem is something that began about 4 years ago and comes and goes with the rest of the symptoms. It's kind of like the autophony I have experienced, except it only happens when I hum in the range of high C to Eb. I've recorded myself, and it just sounds like really pitchy humming on the recording, but in my head it sounds exactly like a kazoo.

Now here's where it gets weird. If I record myself humming the same note, like C#, at first you just hear a loud pitchy hum, then it just...dies, and you can't hear anything but a very faint, mosquito whine. Which I find to be disturbing, because in my head it was the exact same volume the entire time. Also I have an itch deep inside my right ear afterwards. Here is a link to a sound file if anyone is interested to hear what it sounds like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iabquy7g2yabvzd/Humming%20Weirdness.wav

Any ideas as to what could cause all of this? Any ideas on how to make it stop? /sigh ~Reno

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I agree that you most likely have Eustachian tube problems...sometimes your e-tubes are closed, and sometimes, they are locked in the open position (patulous eustachian tubes). Everything you are doing can help, but have you ever used a course of nasal corticosteroids (prescription)/ This could really help, so if you have not, please discuss this with your doctor. This may help your sinusitis as well. For your TMJ, you may need to remain on some anti-inflammatory medications for a while, or see a dentist that specializes in TMJ so you can be evaluated at a higher level.

There is also a device (around a $100 or so) called the EarPopper that can help when the tubes are closed and need to "pop". You can find info on this device on the Internet.

Your humming issues? I don't really have a good explanation for you.

Helpful Tips

Ear and throat pain
Hi, I have been experiencing a swollen tonsil for about three weeks, I went to the doctor mi first week and told him mi symptoms: sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.