Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Swollen throat in 3 yr old...
sdadkin posted:
My 3 year old son has had a swollen throat for a while now. It's not his tonsils it is on the sides of his throat. They look really swollen and red. He does not complain of a sore throat or anything and he eats fine. His last checkup was at the end of July. Everything was normal. I had forgotten to mention his swollen throat when we were there so I called his Dr later and he told me that it was probably just allergies and to start him on a daily dose of Claritin. We did this for a few weeks but I didn't see any changes. He did have tubes put in both ears when he was one and as far as I know they are still in there. He hasn't had any ear infections for a while (maybe 4-5 months ago). I know you can't diagnose anything over the internet, but what are the possible reasons for his throat to look like this?Is it normal for a 3 year old? If it isn't bothering him should I even wory about it? Is it worth paying for an expensive dr's appt? Thanks in advance!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Cute picture of your children, but as you know, I can't see his throat in order to offer you a specific answer. The tonsils ARE on the sides of the throat, so I am puzzled when you say it "isn't his tonsils". The fact that he is not complaining about it and it is not interfering with his eating, what you feel is red and swollen could be normal. Unless you look in a zillion throats like I do, it may be difficult for a lay person to sort out the normal variations from the abnormal-looking findings. His doctor guessing over the phone (yes, it is a guess) that it is allergies, is no different than blinding trying to determine a reason over the Internet. As sympathetic as I am to the high price of medical care, having a hands-on examination by a medical professional is really the only way to find out conclustively.

sdadkin replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you Dr Moser. I guess I thought your tonsils were the little ball thing hanging at the back of your throat. Obviously, I was wrong. Lol. So, I guess it is his tonsils. The reason I say they look red and swollen is because they are so big they look like they almost cover up all of his throat. It's been like this for months and he hasn't ever complained about it, so I guess maybe it is normal? My youngest son has an appointment coming up in a couple of weeks and I think I will bring my oldest along then. Thank you for your help and quick response!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to sdadkin's response:
Yes, that is the uvula. Tonsils in children are HUGE, especially when compared to adults. Some are so big that they touch, but unless the child is having difficulty swallowing or has recurrent Strep throats, the tonsils need to stay. He will grow in to them in a few years and they won't seem to big.

And, you are very welcome.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.