Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Slimy Mouth
An_247858 posted:
I noticed that my mouth is so slimy and i have to constantly spit my saliva. My throat looks irritated and veiny and my soft palate is rough. I think i have post nasal drip since i have sinusitis.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
The mouth is supposed to be moist, or slimy as you call it. The salivary glands keep in that way. If your throat is irritated and you have sinusitis (is this self-diagnosed, or having you seen a medical provider?), then it is likely that you have an infection of some type. Most are viral, but you would need to see your medical provider for a proper examination to be sure.

AlexP14 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
My doctor told me i have sinusitis and i never really thought it was something to be concern about. I was given nasal spray but that didn't work and im pretty sure it's viral. Whenever i spit my saliva is slimy.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to AlexP14's response:
Since you have seen your doctor and have been properly diagnosed, I am sure you will be feeling better soon. Your saliva may be slimy since it is mixed with post-nasal mucous.

AlexP14 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
My throat looks like the image shown below the thing is my throat doesn't hurt at all. Should i go back to my doctor and tell him for a throat culture to be done? http://1.bp.blogspot.com/Hw_q7bHIKSs/Tqx8gKcYG6I/AAAAAAAAB7I/qfp8t7ipptE/s1600/tc.jpg

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to AlexP14's response:
The image was not viewable on my computer due to an "error". Your doctor will decide whether a throat culture is needed or not, so you don't have to tell him....

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.