Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
hard painful lump under chin, headache, swollen achy jaw...please help!!
An_248343 posted:
okthis is my last resort before I go to the hospital, as I am in so much pain. I am female, 23, 5'3 and 106 pounds, I am fit but I do smoke.

a week ago I went to bed feelin perfectly fine, when I woke up the next day I had a very painful and hard lump under my chin. I looked up home remedies, and held a hot compress on it for a few hours, ad ate sour candy to produce a lot of saliva in case my saliva gland was blocked. I still felt about the same by the time I went to bed.

wen I woke up, the hard lump under my chin was WAY more painful, AND my jaw was aching back by my ears, I had severe neck pain/muscle pain, a dull headache, and the lymph nodes on both sides of my neck were tender and swollen. every day for the last 5 days I've had all the same symptoms relentlessly, getting more painful each day, even tho I continued with the hot compress and anti-inflammatory over the counter meds. I almost can't take it.

I HAVE had a gross huge nodule on my chin for a while, most of it drained and started to heal, then it seemed to fill up again. I don't kno if it's connected, it's only about an inch and a half away from the hard painful lump under my chin. my neck is so sore, and the lump feels so swollen and pressured that I can barely move my head.

what is going on?! what should I do?! do I need immediate medical attention?! I dontbhave insurance either, that's why I haven't gone in already. but I'm seriously abou to walk to the emergency room I'm really scared...it's hard to open my mouth because my jaw is so achy and swollen. the lump is VERY hard and it looks like I have a double chin...please help me...

oh and I have NOT been sick lately. thi crap just appeared out of nowhere wen I woke up. lucky me.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You should not have waited five days....you need to have medical care today. As you know, I can't examine you, but that "nodule" on your chin that has been draining is likely an abscess, and that lump under your chin is likely connected. This is probably a reactive lymph node. I am guessing, but it appears you are going to need an oral antibiotic for this infection, so please go to the ER or an urgent care facility today so that you can be properly diagnosed and treated.

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.