Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Swollen lymph nodes, Pain in neck and back of throat
An_248351 posted:
I have been having an odd pain for the past 3 months. It has been pretty consistent and has began to worry me. It started suddenly one day and I noticed it when I yawned, it felt like a muscular pain in the left back side of my throat near the tonsil. However i only feel the pain when I yawn or open my mouth widely. It isn't a sore throat and it doesn't hurt to swallow or cough. The throat pain sometimes go away when i apply pressure near the tonsil area. I also have notice a dull pain in my neck between my ear and front left side of my throat in addition to clavicle pain. The dull neck and clavicle pain seem to occur at the same time. I also sometimes get headaches and they occur only on my left side. Due to swollen lymph nodes in my head and neck area, they did a CBC twice both a month apart and they turned out normal so all efforts stopped there.

This issue is consistent and i would like to know the best possible step and if further test such as an xray or MRI should be necessary.

For note: I am a 22 year old female, dont smoke or drink, no serious illnesses in the past year or longer, no health problems, physically fit, and take no medications.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I agree that the "next step" needs to be considered; either an MRI of that area or a CT scan. A plain x-ray will not reveal very much. The chance of this being something ominous is very, very slight, but being thorough is very important. Another step would be to see an ENT first for a consultation to see what type of imaging studies would be best.

Three months is a long time, so getting to the bottom of this issue would be good.

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.