Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
chapter 3: ER
mmorgan1718 posted:
thank you very much for your expertise. i am sitting in the ER waiting area right now, I will definetly let you kno what happens.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Boy....you are giving me a blow by blow report. I hope you don't sit there very long, and more importantly, I hope that your medical provider is thorough. Make sure to ask all of your questions.....

mmorgan1718 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
just got home finally, I didn't even sit down wen I got in the ER they rushed me right in wen I told them what was up and took my compress off and they saw the swelling. you were right, I had an abscess that was so full it draining down into my lymph node, causing "severe Cellulitis". they scanned the lump to be sure because it was abnormally hard and the size of a golf ball, at first he thought it was a tumor. they put me on a steroid IV as well as IV antibiotics for hours. weirdly, I feel the same, no better at all...hope he didn't screw up and it's jus gnarly and gonna take a bit to start recovering. he sent me home with 2 oral antibiotics, vicoden AND percocet. oh and he drew the pus out of the abscess with a hollow needle, OUCH!!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to mmorgan1718's response:
You received the appropriate care. Please try and arrange to see a primary care doctor (since the ER does not do follow up visits), so that you can have the progress of your hearing carefully monitored. Take your medications religiously and follow the ER instructions to the letter. Assuming you were placed on the right antibiotics, you should be better soon. This was a VERY serious infection....

Did they do a culture and send it to the hospital lab? I suspect they did, so please call the hospital in a few days and get the report.

Thanks for the update.

mmorgan1718 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
yes, they took 5 vials of blood for testing. monitor my hearing? my hearing is at risk? I have now had 3 doses of my steroids (I got a steroid script) and my antibiotics since this drama began, and I'm finally starting to feel better. still very sore, but so much more manageable now. they hooked me up with the contact info of a good doctor around here fir my follow up, I called and go in tomorrow thank you! I was getting pretty petrified yesterday! what happens when that kind of infection is left untreated, if I hadn't gone in? I'm guessing hearing loss is one of the awful results

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to mmorgan1718's response:
Oops....I meant "healing", not hearing....a common typo when you run the Ear, Nose, and Throat Community. I suspect your hearing will not be adversely affected by this medical event.

I am glad you are feeling better already.

Helpful Tips

Earaches
I had pressure behind the eye and earache, even after using neti pot, suction machine and fluticasone. I found those worked great for ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.