Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Suspected recurrent sinus infections and asthma
An_248349 posted:
Would removing adenoids help my 5 year old son who has recurrent sinus infections and asthma? Asthma is yet unconfirmed he has chronic wet cough and lung function test was low. How could we determine if this would help. If not, do we have other options?

Thanks for your help!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Usually not, but that would depend on his particular case. If his adenoids -- based on a directed visualization by an ENT -- are diseased or chronically infected, then they should go. If he is having recurrent ear infections, mouth-breathing, or chronic post-nasal drainage, then removing them may be helpful. That would be for the ENT to decide.

Has he been allergy-tested yet?

Lisa5555 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks so much for your response!

He has not seen an ENT, only a respirologist. He started coughing about a year ago (he is still coughing especially at night), had a partially collapsed lung and more recently the sinus infections. CF test came back normal.

I have asked about allergy testing and his pediatric respirologist did not seem to think we should do allergy testing. Do you think I should ask about this again?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Lisa5555's response:
Or....consider getting a second opinon. I don't know your son's complete medical history nor do I have a way of examining him, but chronic and/or recurrent lung problems often have underlying allergies.

An_248349 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you!!

Helpful Tips

Earaches
I had pressure behind the eye and earache, even after using neti pot, suction machine and fluticasone. I found those worked great for ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.