Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Severe pain in the left ear and swollen gland in the neck
An_248385 posted:
I was swimming in the river this summer and now have a terrible ear ache. Actually, I was working everyday in and around the river. Also the lymph node on the left side of my adam's apple is slightly swollen.My sinus is still somewhat infected. I live close to an elevator that puts out corn dust. Also I have been on tetracycline for a month. Also, I took a round of amoxicillin two weeks prior to that. I received a deep puncture wound two months ago. I developed severe jaw pain and could not chew or swallow my food correctly. I was having sweating spells, tightness of the neck area, and some muscle spasms in the hands close to the injury site. I was given the tetanus vaccine in 2010. I did not get a booster till about a month after the puncture wound, when my jaw was locking and I was very,very sick. I realize I might have exposed myself to many harmful organisms.The tetracycline was finished a week ago. All symptons have disappeared except the ear pain. I was having severe headache when I went to the doctor.I have tinitus of the ears, I think only the left ear, it feels like some kind of fluid is in there. I gargled with aalt water and ran saline thru the sinus. Could this still be cephalic tetanus affecting the ear?
I know the clostridium tetani is in this water, as are strep and staph, and many other organisms. I am use to swimming in blue-green algae and wonder if you think this might be cephalic tetanus affecting my ears and glands. Thanks. THIS HAS BEEN FROM MID JULY TO NOW MID OCTOBER

Take the Poll

Does clostridium tetanus affect the inner ear, jaw and glands in the neck?
  • Yes it does.
  • No, it does not,
vote
View Poll Results

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.