Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Hi again, Dr. M: Recent Ent doctor report>
yanksgirl posted:
Hi--hope you are doing better--or at least better than I have been!

Same old thing with me--the head pressure and nausea and really bad light headedness that is making doing much and enjoying it a real 'chore'.

I do it anyway--like a wedding and reception and out to dinner and church, etc.
Also a get together with friends. I do it all--but am pretty 'miserable' during much of it due to the above symptoms. Just don't say much--not to most folks--only those who really ask and want to know.

So--I saw the Ent doctor and he said he 'wishes he could give me better news, but really, there is nothing he can do at this point to help--and he wishes there was!! "
He was very kind and I appreciated that. I had to see him early because I had another trip to the E.R. for what I thought was the A-fib returning, and it was just all due to the inner ear ( all the above symptoms, plus erratic heart beat). I was told by my Cardio doctor's office to go to the E.R. because we never know if my heart is holding it's normal sinus rhythm or not, without checking and he was out of the office so the E.R. was where they sent me. So, I got in to see my ear doctor sooner than expected and told him, they said it was all due to my Meniere's.

I did get a referral from him to get a Neuro--consult. I can't get in until the end of November--but am on a waiting list for sooner.

Not sure this will help but am hoping he might 'shed some light' on the what's going on that maybe is being 'missed'. I keep having these off and on hand trembling episodes, and my head will 'jerk' at the strangest times. Probably just stress, but sure is unnerving for sure.

Also, my Raynaud's has been showing up more often, even in my toes. I feel like my feet are asleep/numb (no pain) about half way up on each foot---from the toes.
Weird, I know--but that's me!

Anyway, maybe a Neuro doctor will have some insight or help us figure it out. Sure hope so. If not, as the Ent doctor said, 'it is what it is' and hopefully, it will just end as it began--I think I've heard it referred to as 'burn out' with Meniere's. I've written alot, but wanted to bring you up to date. yanksgirl

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Dang.....I was hoping for some good news. Sometimes, the limitations of medical science frustrate me as well. There are many things I would like to "fix" on my patients (and myself!), but I have that same attitude: It is what it is....

It is like my bum shoulder. Some days I feel upset that it couldn't be fixed, and other days, I am please that I have partial use of it. If I had cut off my arm in a tragic accident, I would still be plugging along with my one good arm. So, it could be worse.

I know that is not any consoluation for you. I am not sure if I would trade my bum arm/shoulder for intractable vertigo, so my heart goes out to you as always.

I don't know if the neuro will have any profound insight or not, but expect a few diagnostic tests. If your Menieres burns out while waiting for the neuro consult, then you will have reason to rejoice.

I am back to the clinic...full time. I finally had my group provide an electric exam table that I can lower (for my taller patients, since I cannot reach their head!). This has more dignity than me asking them to sit on the floor!

Retiring in 4.5 more years is looking more attractive every day....

yanksgirl replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
That's funny---that they might have to sit on the floor-- not really!! Glad you have help for that part of your practice. So sorry your shoulder hasn't responded, but your comparison is well taken. I could be 'totally deaf' too, but thank God, I'm not!

No vertigo anymore--so far--but that is what it feels like is 'about to happen' when this is really bad. So, I'm praying that doesn't return too. I'm so thankful the fear of that is somewhat diminished.
I'm sure I'll have 'some neuro' tests but hopefully nothing 'scary' or difficult. I'm taking my MRI films of my head/ear with me that I had in July, so don't expect to have to do that again.
4 1/2 years to retirement? You're still young! I retired 11 years ago--early retirement--but it seems like yesterday at times.
What will we do without you here? Or will you keep up the board forum? Anyway, I 'can't worry' about that too!! LOL
Have a good week. Thanks for your input. I'll let you know any updates. yanksgirl

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to yanksgirl's response:
If (and it is a big "if" right now) I retire, it will just be from full-time clinical practice when I turn 66. I still may do a few days a month to keep my hands busy but I have no intention of giving up WebMD, the blog, or the new WebMD Answers forum....I can do that stuff from a rocking chair at a nursing home, assuming my brain remains sharp.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.