Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Fluid and discomfort behind L ear post balloon sinuplasty
TxHorns98 posted:
Hi
I had an in-office balloon sinuplasty 11 days ago. Virtualloy no pain during or after. However, starting 2 days ago, have felt a fluttering sensastion in L ear that i can actually hear. Plus, it seems like i have pressure and/or fluid on that side. No pain but I'm worried it will turn into something more. I had my post-op appt 3 days ago and doctor thought everythign looked great. Completed the 10 day course of antibiotics as well. Is this common to happen because of the inflammation? I had no swelling on my left nostril post op, but lots of swelling on my right sinus sides. Have been doing at least 3 nasal rinses daily along with saline nasal spray.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Is a fluttering ear common after this procedure? No, it is not, but since the ear is connected to the pharynx (throat) via the Eustachian tubes, there may be an association. Middle ear fluid (effusion), changes in middle ear pressure because the Eustachian tube is not functioning properly, or even a spasm of the muscles that cannot those tiny, middle ear bones can cause fluttering.

Things in the ear can certainly change from the time you had a post-op examination, so you may need to have another hands-on examination if this does not spontaneously resolve.

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.