Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Snotarator
An_248570 posted:
Have you ever heard of this product? It is a Nasal Aspirator that attaches to a vacuum cleaner. It's been on the market for years in Europe. It seems a little harsh to me and a little frightning. My Pediatrician recommended it to me, so I guess it should be safe.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
A vaccuum cleaner? I actually have heard of the snotarator, but I have not researched well enough to know it is a vaccuum attachment. The one's I have seen are battery-powered and have a suction definately less than a vaccuum cleaner. Most of my little patients use the hand bulb syringe, so I have not recommended the snotarator. I guess I could endorse the battery-powered model, but not the one that hooks to a vaccuum cleaner. Scary? Yes, but I would be more concerned about excess suction, or if snot would void the warranty on your Hoover or the shop vac!

sherry77 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I just received mine and I'm surprised that I have never heard of this device before! It is an awesome invention and i got the boogers out of my 5month old daughters nose without a huge fight. She didn't like the noise, but it was quick because I didn't need to insert it into her nostril like I would have to with the bulb. It somehow regulates the power of the vacuum cleaner, and the mucus gets trapped in the Snotarator. My husband found an article about the company last week and I had to specifically search for it to find it. I wish I would have known about it sooner, so feeding my infant wouldn't have been such a struggle.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to sherry77's response:
Thanks for your input and comments, Sherry. I first saw this device at a conference in Boston a few years ago, but my recollection was that it was self-contained (no vacuum cleaner attachment).

Kids really hate nose-cleaning, so if this is working well for your child, then wonderful. If anyone else out there has experience with the Snotarator, please jump in on this discussion.

Thanks

mommywise replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Sherry, I have a snotarator!! Why don't more people know about it? I went to Babies R Us to first look for it when I heard about it. A lady there knew what I was talking about, but said they don't carry it yet. It is the most awesome tool a parent can have, hands down! I have tried everything to get the snot out of my daughter's nose and always struggled with the aspirator, worrying that I would push it too far up her nose and hurt her... not to mention they don't work well at all, neither do the battery-powered devices! The snotarator couldn't be easier and it works in like two seconds! It is truly the most amazing product ever and I would recommend it to anyone!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to mommywise's response:
If you are having problems finding the web site...

http://www.snotarator.com/

An_248784 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Dr Moser,
For your recommendation I tried using the snotarator.
My desperation overcame my initial reaction and I'm amazed how much easier it is to use and how much more effective it is than the other aspirators. Thankfully it was shipped out quickly despite the storm on our coast.
I've been constantly looking for ways to relieve my little boys nasal congestion. My 5 year old frequently gets a cold in school, so it feels like my 18 month old has a constant runny nose. By now I should be a pro at using the bulb or any other device, but it isn't so easy with a less than cooperative toddler.
Prior to reading your post I have never heard of it though, and I would like to know what I could do to spread the word. As I see from the above comments, I'm not the only mom in need of a device like this.
Thank you Dr Moser!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to An_248784's response:
I would like to thank you instead. I did see at a conference, but it was a posting here that reminded me about it. Since so many people have tried, used it, I am more likely to recommend it based on your glowing testimonials.

I hope it doesn't affect the warranty on your vaccuum!

HuggsandKisses replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I have a snotarator and I can't even begin to tell you how much I love it! Instead of pinning down my child, nose cleaning became an easy, fun process in our house. She loves the vacuum cleaner though, so the noise didn't frighten her at all. I can clean her nose enough that she can actually breathe through it, instead of pinning her down every 5minutes and barely getting some boogers out. Best baby product by far in my opinion!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to HuggsandKisses's response:
I am going to have to get me a Snotarator for the clinic (of couse, we don't have a vacuum cleaner...the janitoral staff brings their own).

Thanks for your comments...I have mentioned this product several times to patients this week.

HelenP replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I was very skeptical of the snotarator even though my friend has been using it with her kids and recommended it to me. I was afraid to use my vacuum, I thought it is way too strong to be used on my child. So my little boy got RSV during the holidays, we ended up in the hospital because he struggled to breathe. That same night I borrowed my friends snotarator (of course I sanitized it in boiling water) and I was amazed how well it worked. The suction power wasn't bad at all once it was attached to my vacuum. My boy was not very happy about it, but I just held him tight and cleared his nose in a second. By day 2-3 he didn't mind it as much and I have to say I became a big fan of the snotarator, I will tell every mom I know about this.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to HelenP's response:
Thanks, Helen...make sure to let the company know about your experience.

Helpful Tips

help
An_251960 pls hv u found a solution? Am currently passing 2thru d same problem. pls help. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.