Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
My 16yo daughter has a cold
missjennifer1966 posted:
Even though she has had it for a few days, I went ahead and got some Zicam to see if it would help. It has not yet. My question is, can I give her another med safely and, if so, when? Should I wait something like 4 hours in between trying different meds? Thank you!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
What "different" medication? I do not know any over the counter medication that would react with a supplement like Zicam, so I am sure it will be fine. You know, you can't really cure a cold...you can only help relieve some of the symptoms. Viruses are self-limiting, so your daughter will likely be fine by day four of this cold.

missjennifer1966 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks so much!! I gave her some Dimetapp and then I was going to give Tylenol cold:)

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to missjennifer1966's response:
Give one or the other, comparing the ingredients. Some are primarily decongestants to help the nose drain; some are antihistamines (to dry up the nose), and some have a combination of both of these, along with some acetaminophen.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.