Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
feeling of liquid moving in one ear
radiantstar posted:
Hello. I would like an opinion about the situation that is really worrying me. For the past few weeks I have been having the feeling that there's liquid moving in my ear, with every day it's more and more constant. I don't have any other symptoms and my hearing is fine. I have seen and ENT but he said I'm confusing the feeling with just a blocked ear that I have and prescribed me some anti-allergy medicine. But my ear is not blocked, I hear perfectly fine with both ears. I can clearly feel the liquid moving in there, especially when I move my head. Could he be mistaken? I just worry that by not starting the proper treatment my situation is just gonna get worse. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Fluid may, indeed, be fluid (even if your ENT did not see it at the time of your exam). The fluid / effusion could be in the middle ear space (the area on the other side of your eardrum) or in some cases, be in your ear canal if you had a partial wax impaction. Water from external sources (shower, bathing, swimming) can be trapped in the ear canal and not be obvious during a quick exam.

Knowing the location of this fluid sensation is important since treatment for both conditions are totally different.

radiantstar replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks very much for your reply. I decided to see another doctor about this becouse the meds he prescribed do not help and this feeling is getting more and more constant. I think and actually feel this liquid to be further than ear canal becouse I've had water trapped in ear canal before and it felt a bit different, plus the ear would feel blocked and the hearing was reduced, but this time it feels like there's just a liquid moving in there with no other symptoms. I think the cause of this might be from the problem with my nose, becouse for few years now I have a chronic sinusitis and my left nostril is often partially blocked, though my problem is wirh my right ear which is strange. what is also strange is that I've read that it if it's problems with eustachian tubes the feeling of liquid usually accompanied with a blocked ear and reduced hearing but I don't seem to be having that. so it is really possible to be the luquid there which isn't always visible to the doctor?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to radiantstar's response:
Yes, that is possible. Not all clinician can "see" this fluid, but if an instrument called a pneumatic otoscope is uses (a small bulb syringe that attaches to a standard otoscope head) to puff air against the eardrum, he should be able to see how well it moves (called mobility). An eardrum that is immobile most likely has fluid. This is a simple tests but not all clinicians do it (even thought this Standard of Care), or are skilled at doing it. Another test that would should fluid would be a tympanogram, if your doctor has one and uses it.

Hopefully, the next medical provider will examine your ear more carefully and have an answer for you.

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.