Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Strep or Tonsillitis? OR both?
jessicaray93 posted:
Hi,my name is Jessica Ray I have had this issue for getting close to two weeks now.It started about early this week,I was perfectly fine and healthy next day I woke up with a severe swollen throat and tonsils.I have had strep quite a bit this year. Also,problems with my tonsils and throat randomly swelling up. The second day i started to feel weak and tired.This continue for a bit.Then not to long ago I started having fevers on and off.Random white streaks on the back of my throat.My tonsils being red and halfway swollen along with my throat.I started to feel like my throat getting tight really bad.Its been like this for about a week and a half now. I started throwing up here and there to.There quite a big circle and spots of dark red on the top of my mouth not much on the back of my throat.i tried eating some stuff before and it felt like it almost got stuck yesterday.ive been sucking on candies,drinking fluids,staying away from dairy and caffeine.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
One more thing that you need to do, Jessica. Based on your symptoms, you should see your medical provider so you can be properly examined. You may have Strep again, or perhaps even mono (mononucleosis). A throat swab and a EBV panel (to check for mono) may be indicated, but your medical provider would have to make this determination.

You have been ill for nearly two week. It is time for you to be checked out, have a proper exam, a diagnosis, and of course, be treated.

jessicaray93 responded:
I also noticed about a day ago i was sucking on hard candy like what i read on what I'm suppose to do then later on in the night at the libray.I was sitting next to my fiance and I mention why does it taste like i have blood in my mouth so i guess spit into my hand and with my saliva was some blood and then i went to the bathroom spitting up small bits of blood from my throat.I also been having very dry tastes in my mouth,my tounge was white/grey and i had a weird taste in my mouth.I tried drinking tea it hasnt hardly helped.i have a cough with this.Im just not sure if its normal.should i get my tonsils out? its hards to eat to,hurting to swallow.

jessicaray93 replied to jessicaray93's response:
I do have a appointment tomorrow to get checked out.I believe ive had strep about maybe 6 times this yr and issues with my throat and tonsils.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to jessicaray93's response:
If a person has six bouts of documented Strep in a year, then removing the tonsils may be recommended. Let me know hou your visit goes tomorrow. If you are seeing an ENT, then you will know the status of those tonsils and if you are a surgical candidate.

jessicaray93 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I went to go see the nurse and she took a strep test on me and asked about the symptoms and I had just about every one of the symptoms. The test came back negative though, which I do not understand.I have had strep quite a bit this yr but did not go to the doctor due to no money. She said my tonsils did look swollen and my throat was red. She prescribed me with some Amoxicillin for 10 days. I have to go do a follow up on the 12th of this month. I just think its weird having all the symptoms but come back negative. Also,to that really bad dry taste in my mouth and the bit of blood that came up that one day.

With a negative Strep test, I am not sure that I agree with the amoxicillin. The vast majority of sore throats are viral, and there is a good chance this is what you have, but then again, I didn't examine you.. Antibiotic don't help viruses, but they do go away on their own.

Don't be disappointed that your Strep test was negative. Did the nurse do a back up culture? Cultures are more accurate than a rapid strep test.

jessicaray93 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I believe so,She also tested for whooping cough.

Make sure to call and get those test results.....

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.