Includes Expert Content
Nose Issue?
Brainiac777 posted:
Hello, I have this issue with my nose where I have green mucus every winter. I've had this for two years now ever since I got this really bad inflection last year. I kept blowing my nose and one of my ears got inflammed from all of the blowing. It comes every winter since I was 10 but it just recently turned green last year around the same time. My doctor told me it was an allergy but I really doubt it as none of my 5 brothers and two sisters have the same problem. It came back this year around the same time. I suspect this is from dryness as I live in Canada and winter removes the moister from the air. One side of my nose is really red and inflamed. Please help me find out what causes this.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Green mucous can be from an infection, either chronic or acute. In the winter, colds are quite prevalent, and cold can set the stage for a sinus infection.

Green mucous can also be from stagnation. The longer that mucous remains stagnant in your nasal passageway, the more likely it will turn darker.

I would suggest that you try and see an ENT, have a thorough examination of your nose and sinuses. A sinus CT scan may be indicated if your examination warrants this imaging study.