Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Question about throat
An_248863 posted:
the back of my throat been hurting for the past week and it hurts to swallow and eat i went to the Dr. to see if i had strep throat he said it was negative what else could it be i dont cough or have any other symptoms just a hurt throat?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
There are numerous causes for a sore throat. Your doctor has only eliminated one cause, and perhaps has assumed the cause is viral (since the Strep screen was negative). Mouth-breathing (due to a clogged nose) and a dry environment can cause a sore throat, especially in the mornings. Allergies can cause sore throat. Sinusitis can cause of sore throat (from post-nasal drainage). Reflux can cause a sore throat. Cigarette smoking can do it, too.

These are just a few of the numerous causes, so if you are continuing to have a sore throat beyond a week, you will need to see your medical provider again, so that some additional evaluations can be done.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.