Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Chronic ear pressure in one year
seh0314 posted:
I have been browsing the internet for months trying to find somebody with a similar problem. I am 30 years old, live in Canada and for the past 2 years I have had the constant feeling in my right ear that it needs to be un-popped/constant pressure. I am constantly yawning or swallowing or plugging my nose and blowing out but nothing seems to work (sometimes it will provide relief for a minute or so, but then it goes right back to feeling "popped" again). I have been to the doctor and an ENT several times about this and they did hearing tests, looked in my ear and said everything looks totally normal (and no hearing loss). I am BEYOND frustrated, I spend most of my day (everyday) thinking about it because it is such an uncomfortable feeling! I get really depressed and feel very alone because other people do not understand what I'm going through and how awful it is to be consumed by thinking about it all the time! Any advise would be very much appreciated. One thing I am very thankful for is that I do not have any hearing loss or ringing in my ear. I appreciate anyone's thoughts or advise! Thank you in advance.
Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
The most likely cause would be ETD - Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, but of course, there are others as well. Start your Internet investigation with ETD. ETD can be very difficult to diagnose and treat in some individuals. Just because your examinations are "normal" in no way proves or disproves that ETD is not your culprit. Once you are properly diagnosed (or IF), ETD can be challenging to treat.

Helpful Tips

VNG is Excruciatingly Painful
I recently had a VNG test at a local neurology center. It was so painful that I could not make it through it, I had to beg them to stop. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.