Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Red, swollen earlobe with tiny red bumps
An_248886 posted:
My two year old has a red, swollen earlobe for a few days. A tiny blister was spotted at one point. Now it looks like there are several tiny red bumps. What could it be? Can it be an infection? Our pediatrician saw it at the early stage and thought it may be a bug bite. But it didn't get better after a few days. My son complains that it hurts (or itches).

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Yes, it could be an infection, and probably should be treated with both a topical and oral antibiotic, but this is just a blind guess based on your brief posting. As you know, my inability to examine your son first-hand is quite a barrier....you can't really diagnose an infection without actually seeing it personally.

Bug bites itch, and he is complaining about it. Bug bites can also set the stage for an infection, so he could have both.

Call his pediatrician first. He may just treat him without another exam, since he examined him in the early stages. If not, you will need to make an appointment for an exam.

Helpful Tips

Sj?gren's Syndrome
I guess seeing in hindsight that this was posted over two years ago, my comment would mostly be for people stumbling upon this thread. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.