Includes Expert Content
Sore throat and fever, went away and came back
HelpMeIAmSick posted:
Hi all, so I contracted a sore throat and fever about 9 days ago. It really hurt to swallow, and the doctor in the walk-in clinic said it wasn't bacterial because she couldn't see any white spots. After a few days I would only feel the fever at night, and I'd always wake up sweaty. Then we went on a trip to Edinburgh and Brussels and I was feeling good enough to go. By the time I was in Brussels I felt completely cured. I had stopped waking up sweaty, so there was no evidence of a fever, and my sore throat went away. I had about two days of feeling perfect. Then as soon as I got back to my apartment in London yesterday (where I am studying) I could feel the throat pain setting in. Now I just woke up and my sore throat is back with a vengeance. I'm not sweaty, but I don't have a thermometer to check for a fever. These don't seem like allergy symptoms but that is what came to mind when the symptoms came back as a result of being here again. Anyone have any clue what this might be?

HelpMeIAmSick responded:
Also, I have had some pain in my ears along with this sore throat, which I've heard is common because they are connected.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Please keep in mind that a "clue" is not the same as a definitive diagnosis, and without knowing your medical history or examine you, it is really not possible to really make an accurate assessment.

The most logical reason is a virus, or your case, back-to-back different viruses. Strep is a possibility as well, but again, this would require a hands-on evaluation by a medical professional.

HelpMeIAmSick replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you for your help. I've seen a doctor and they said it wasn't strep. It seems like a virus, but not a different one than the previous, at least in terms of symptoms. Luckily I haven't had a fever this time around.