Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Middle ear infection and tinnitus
An_248952 posted:
Hello, I currently have a middle ear infection in both of my ears. Yesterday I went to the doctor and they said I have fluid in both my ears, mostly my right. So they gave me antibiotics, nasal spray and also told me to take Claritin d. Since yesterday when I started to take the meds I noticed that the physical pain in my ears has gone down a lot and the tinnitus has diminished greatly, and I'm finally experiencing regular silence sometimes. but at times the tinnitus resurges in either of my ears, usually my right though (where the doctor said there was more fluid at), and it annoys me. Its not that loud thankfully but it sounds like a high pitched electric frequency or something. My posture also seems to influence it.

Also, both my parents are RNs and looked at my ears last night with an otoscope and also agreed that my right ear is more infected looking. They also looked again this morning and said it looks like they're getting better so should my tinnitus go away forever soon?
Its really stressful to me having it and I saw how some people said their tinnitus didn't go away after an infection. I'm pretty scared of having this forever.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
If your tinnitis is due to your middle ear infection and fluid, than it would seem very likely that your tinnitus is related, and will resolve as soon as the infection has abated and the inflammation has resolved as well.

farielsalvador replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Is it normal if the sound keeps changing and fluctuating ear to ear? My doctor said it's notpermanent and it could take some weeks for the tinnitus to gradually go away but I am still really paranoid (luckily today is the quietest day yet so far)...Also this is the second time I've had tinnitus from an ear infection and fluid buildup this year but the first time it was only in my right ear. What can I do to make this stop happening? why does fluid keep getting in my middle ear?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to farielsalvador's response:
There is nothing you can do to stop the tinnitus....it should resolve, like your doctor informed you. There are no specific treatments for tinnitus. Fluid in the middle ear is from a dysfunctional Eustachian tube, and this, too, will likely resolved.

Whenever I take the claritin d i instantly notice a few minutes later that my tinnitus spikes when it was very quiet or almost non existent before. So should I keep taking it or not? Also im taking azithromycin since saturday... I read some other people who said it took a month or more for the ringing to go away and more than one round of antibiotics. I have noticed an improvement, so hopefully the tinnitus will go away soon. I feel extremely anxious and depressed and demotivated due to this sound in my ears and the soonest the ENT can see me is the 29th. even when its quiet it disturbs me and i can't stop focusing in on it. i've never had any problems with my ears until now and i'm 17 years old.

I also keep having a weird feeling of pressure in my right ear. and for some reason the tinnitus sometimes disappears and comes back louder in either or both ear(s). My ears also keep popping much more than i think is usual whenever I swallow. not as often now though.

That would be up to you, but I typically do not use Claritin D for middle ear infections. I have used the "D" part (pseudoephedrine) for middle ear fluid, but it is controversial that it will help. Some studies have shown that antihisamines (the main component of Claritin D) are contraindicated. If your tinnitus is WORSE after taking it, I don't see why you would use it.

I also do not use azithromycin for middle ear infections. Medical providers are like cooks...we all cook differently.

Ask your doctor for something to help you relax and not mind the tinnitus as much. Diazepam and other anti-anxiety drugs in tis classn are often used.

Let me know how your ENT visit goes....

If the ENT drains the fluid out of my ears, do you think that's going to make my tinnitus go away? I noticed my tinnitus is definitely influenced by how I'm sitting or standing, do you think that could be from the fluid moving around or something? Also, if I clench my jaw then the tone of the tinnitus changes. I'm really desperate for it to go away.

I can understand your desperation about the tinnitus. I have had tinnitus for over a decade....

I have no idea if draining the middle ear fluid will cure your tinnitus, or if the fluid is actually the underlying cause. This will be up to the ENT to determine, if he can. Sometimes, a cause is never found. The clenching of the jaw may be due to a TMJ disorder -- another possible source for tinnitus -- but again, that will need to be determined.

Hi, I'm back again. so at the ENT they told me the infections in my ears are gone and there is no fluid in either ears anymore. I still have tinnitus which fluctuates in tone and volume, ear to ear all the time. It gets louder at night, and not just when I'm going to sleep and things are quieter than during the day, the tone and volume actually changes at around the same time every night. The tinnitus also still appears to be influenced by my posture or how I'm lying down when I'm going to sleep.

I'm also still experiencing pain in my ears. Sometimes it's just pang of pain for a few seconds and other times it's a radiating pain that doesnt go away for a while. It sometimes happens in only one ear and other times it happens in both ears at the same time. The ENT said my ears look healthy now though.

Do you have any idea why I keep experiencing this pain and will my tinnitus ever go away? Is it normal for it to persist for a while after infection and fluid is gone? Im also going to see my psychiatrist soon for medication (I already have depression and anxiety which was improving, but tinnitus has now worsened. I've been off meds for a while and havent seen my old psychiatrist in a long time).

No, I really have no way of predicting outcome in your case. Even your ENT is just guessing. Without delving into your case and examining you first-hand, I could not begin to determine a cause of your persistent pain. Tinnitus, of course, is totally unpredictable, so it can go away....last for months....or, like in my own case, stay around for a decade or more (probably the rest of my life).

Since tinnitus may not be able to be cured, most treatments do involve ways of coping with this aberrant noise. Please mention this to your psychiatrist, since many anti-anxiety and anti-depressant meds can have positive effects on the vestibular area (one possible source). You may get help for your depression/anxiety as well as improve your tinnitus. That would be great. It is not the noise that is the issue, but rather our REACTIOIN to the noise, so if your psychiatrist can help you with coping methods, this would be wonderful.

EarRing replied to farielsalvador's response:
Hi Farielsalvador,

Did the tinnitus ever went away?

EarRing responded:
Hi An_248952,

Did the tinnitus ever go away?

farielsalvador replied to EarRing's response:
Hi, my tinnitus is still here and I dont think it will ever go away. I know it sucks, but I have just had to learn to deal with it.

EarRing replied to farielsalvador's response:
Hey Fariel,

Man, that sucks...Have faith, it still can go away. I hope it's not as loud though. Good luck.

maryamjz replied to farielsalvador's response:
Hi, first of all thank you for sharing your history. We are on the same boat. I recently had an ear infection and when it was totally cured, I had this fizzy sound in my left ear. Since the beginning I experienced a minimal hearing loss, too. My doctor says it will go away but all I am reading tells me that it does. How is your tinnitus after almost 2 years?

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.