Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Staph Infection
azzipog posted:
Hello,

I went to the doctor about a week ago and he predicted it was mono. My symptoms (at the time) were severe sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, and fatigue. He gave me some antibiotics on the off chance it was something else while we waited for the blood test to confirm his guess. I am on the antibiotics for about 4 days and start developing headaches and even more severe fatigue, when I get a call back from my doctor saying that I instead have a staph infection in my throat. So he prescribes new antibiotics and says that I should be good as new within a few days, but here is the thing. I leave tomorrow for Basic Training and this most recent call happened about 3 hours ago. The throat pain is virtually nonexistent now all that remains are the headaches and fatigue, so I am wondering if my Staph is cured and the antibiotics are the cause of my current ailments. If so I see no point in taking the new prescriptions especially during such a critical time. Please help as I am quite stressed out over this. The timing is less than ideal.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I suggest that you follow your doctor's advice and take the new antibiotic that covers Staph. Since I have no idea what KIND of Staph you have, or the severity of your illnesses, there is nothing I can do to interfere with his recommendations. I am sorry, but I have no idea why you have headaches and fatigue, since I do not know your medical history, nor can I examine you.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.