Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
growth in ear draining mucus
aliwantizpeace posted:
My roommate has a growth in her ear that covers the opening so you ccannot see into the ear canal. She says it developed when she punctured her ear accidentaly with an object. Ever since then (like 1.5 years ago), it has been draining mucus and is painful. She also says that since that incident, her sinuses in her face have been very swollen as well and burning and that different parts of her head (like spots on her skull) are burning and feel like pins and needles. She was finally able to get a swab test done at a hospital of the mucus from her ear and they told her she had a staff infection. Her PCP told her that there was no infection but just normal staff present and that there was nothing that could be done about it. The ENT's she has seen think she is crazy and say that the head does not work that way (agreed the head doesn't work the way she thinks). After doing research on staff infection she was concerned that the many pains she is having in her left side, back and ribcage area were related to the infection. She also has what the PCP recognized to be a staff infection in her armpit. Her symptoms are driving her crazy and me crazy. The PCP is telling her it is just a mole in her ear and that there is no sinusitus going on (based on scan)and the ultrasound on her organs came back normal. Also no STD, UTI, thyroid or any other standard tests they may have done - they all came back normal. She is about 40 years old. Symptoms: tingling, burning, pains in head; burning and swelling in face and ear; formation in ear; NO hearing loss; persistent drainage from ear; possible staff infection. What could possibly be going on besides just a mole in the ear. Are any or all of the symptoms related to something? Please help us make sense of what is going on. Want to make sure there isn't any possibility that hasn't been looked at already before i conclude that she needs psychiatric help.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Although your second-hand description of this problem is good, it is not the same as a hands-on examination and a first-hand history. Staph infection are common, but unfortunately, I do not know the type of Staph or how it has been treated in the past. Without an examination, I would have absolutely no way of linking (or not) her armpit issue, left sided pain, and head/face pains. As much as I would like to help your roomate, her only chance of being properly diagnosed and treated is to be under the care of a medical provider. Whether she needs pscyhiatric help or not, I can't say, but it is important to rule out all organic reasons for her symptoms first. Unfortunately, this is not something that can be blindly accomplished over the Internet.

aliwantizpeace replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
appologize. This post was one i created before i set up an account. I did not think it posted. Your first response was sufficient. Thank you for your time!

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.