Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
bad tickle mainly at night
An_247907 posted:
the tickle in my throat get so bad!!! mainly at night i just finished with a cold that turn into broncitis and the cough is hurting my chest and close to the point of choking i been drinking tea with lemon and honey, and tons of water the cough drop seems to make mucus in my chest thick this problem on came on after i got sick please help what can i do im having tons of sleepless night and sometime it wakes me up in chking way

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Hopefully, you are not taking any decongestants in the evening or night. This can make it worse...

Assuming you do not have a sinus infection that is causing post-nasal drainage, you can "dry" up some of this with an antihistamine, and "wet down" the rest by using a humidifier (or take a steamy shower before bed). Over-the-counter cough suppressants containing DM (dextromethophan) are helpful...a pharmacist can help you select one. Rather than tea with lemon and honey, just take a spoonful of honey when you are hacking.

See if this helps....or, you will need to call your medical provider for a prescription cough suppressant.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.