Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    noise in right ear
    nanf8 posted:
    When I chew or yawn, I sometimes hear what sounds like a crackle in right ear. It seems to come and go. I have over the past 12 months been told there is fluid in the ear. This has happened at least 3 or 4 times and have taken steroids to clear it up. Just wondering if there might be fluid trapped in the ear somewhere. Upon examination, my ears look okay.
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
    Yes, it still can be fluid in the middle ear. When you chew or yawn, you are briefly opening your Eustachian tubes which will allow air to enter the middle ear. Sometimes, those crackles are just air bubbles.

    Middle ear fluid can be transient (not always there when you are examined), or be difficult to see depending on your anatomy and the skill of the clinician examining you.
    nanf8 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
    I have heard that fluid can remain a long time. Is there a test to confirm this either way. I was wondering if a nasolarygoscope might help reveal this. Also, if fluid remains, what is the best way to treat this. Thank you.
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to nanf8's response:
    The test is called a tympanometry....and many offices have this device to check for middle ear fluid. Some fluid will resolve in time, but if it lasts months, the only definitive treatment would be to insert PETs - pressure equalization tubes. The fluid will be aspirated out at the time of this procedure, and tubes will be placed to make sure the middle ear remains filled with air, not fluid. The decision on insert tubes should not be taken lightly. This is really the last resort if all conservative methods fail.

    Helpful Tips

    Your Home Black BagExpert
    Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    32 of 54 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Focus on Flu

    Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.