Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Arm Pain Following Flu Vaccine...
mikihaas posted:
I have never had issues with the flu vaccine until they added the H1N1. Last year I had difficulty with arm pain for almost six months following the inject. This year the severe arm pain started approximately 2 weeks after the injection and it is debilitating at times. Some days are better than others, but this year it seems much worse than last year and last year was bad in itself. I do not believe it is needle placement as it would have manifested earlier than 2 weeks post injection; although, it is predominantly painful at the site, the entire upper arm aches. Nor do I believe it is the preservative as I have never had an issue until they added the H1N1 component.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
And, I do not feel that your arm pain is due to the H1N1 component, based on the experience of a few million other people that received H1N1 for the last two flu seasons. Clearly, something is wrong, but it would be premature to attribute to the blame at this point.

Mallured replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I have the same pain. It has been here weeks. What is going on?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Mallured's response:
Obviously, it would not be possible for me to specifically answer your question over the Internet. You will need to see your medical provider so that you can be properly examined first. In some cases, if the source is felt to be neurological, you may need the services of a neurologist.

bunny1944 responded:
I held off having the flu injection as I had a severe reaction last year, but eventually was persuaded. It is now four weeks since I had it. When the nurse injected it felt like I had been stung by a wasp. The next morning I woke with a swollen arm and pain - I still have discomfort. When I trained as a nurse we were taught to lift the skin before injecting - now it seems like they are throwing darts! I feel sure it will go in time but I am seriously thinking of avoiding a flu injection next year.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to bunny1944's response:
The length of the injection needle and, of course, the anatomical location where the injection is administered is really important. Think about getting the nasal FluMist next years....not needles at all.

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.