Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
clicking sound in ear when I workout: jump run
clickclickent posted:
I have a clicking sound in my right ear. It only happens when I run jump bounce etc. I've been having this for 4 months now.It started after I increased my workout intensity:running more than half an hour, strength training, jump training. [br>[br>I have seen 2 ENT doctors. I had a hearing test. They said there is nothing wrong in the tiny bones in my inner ear cause I hear perfectly fine. One of the doctors said that one of the muscles in my ear is having a spasm which is triggered by jumping running and it is because I don't get proper sleep. I usually sleep 6 hours at most.That's not something new. But, I feel like it is a mechanical sound that is triggered by up and down movement.It doesn't happen when I shake my head up and down. I had my wisdom teeth removed 6 months before the clicking sounds started but I don't think it has anything to do with my jaw since I don't have the clicking sound when I open my mouth,chew etc.They said the sound should disappear in couple of months but I doubt that.I have been using ear plugs for 4-5 years when I'm sleeping or studying.I don't know whether it effected the pressure-balance in my ear over the past years.They also checked my throat and the opening of the Eustachian tube with something like an endoscope. They can't see anything wrong. [br>----- [br>I also caught a severe cold two weeks ago and I started having popping sounds in my throat when I talk. It's mostly because of mucus in my throat and I'm using Mucinex. It gets worse when I have mucus in my throat.I don't know I feel like I sometimes randomly hear pop sound from my throat or somewhere at the top of my mouth. This sound is different than the one I mentioned above, but I'm not sure if they are related. This happened after I caught cold.But it is so annoying. I can't speak more than a few minutes. Sometimes even other people can hear the sound in my throat.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Do you have a particular question about this problem?

clickclickent replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Yes. I am looking for a second opinion regarding what could be the reason and whether these two problems that I'm having could be related.

Thank you.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to clickclickent's response:
The explanation that the two ENTs gave you regaring Eustachian tube involvement would appear to be a logical reason for your symptoms. Unfortunately, I have no way of offering you that second opinion you are seeking, since I cannot examine you, review your records and dianostic studies, or delve into your medical history. All the information that I have is from your posting.

This is not a common problem, and there could be other reasons, but you appear to have had a very thorough medical work-up, so I see no reason to question their assessments. The "muscle spasm" that the one ENT mentioned may be myoclonus, a very difficult diagnosis to make, and an even more difficult condition to treat. Even Eustachian tube problems can be challenging to manage. Those two possibilities can be related.

phish_dish802 responded:
Hello, I was wondering if your click when you bounce ever ended up going away. I've got the same thing, and it's lasted for several months. It seems crazy to me that there are no answers to this symptom on the internet. I'd really like to know what the noise is and how long it will take to go away. It's quite annoying.

clickclickent replied to phish_dish802's response:
I no longer have it. I don't run or do workouts that require jumping though. It was partially due to TMJ (running triggers it) and partially due to muscle spasms due to stressed life etc. Based on my visits to multiple different doctors:Doctors don't have much input unless you have a serious condition or sth that is common.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.