Includes Expert Content
Long term sinus problem
Tryingtogetbetter posted:
For the past 4-5 years I have been plagued by chronic sinus pressure and headaches. Originally I thought it was a deviated septum but it was not. My doctor thought it might be allergies, but it is not seasonal and I don't want to be on allergy medication constantly. Recently I had someone suggest TMJ, since I have a history of grinding my teeth.

I have had jaw issues as a young child I had 10 teeth removed because my jaw was too small and I wasn't losing my baby teeth fast enough. I have had braces and my wisdom teeth removed. However I do not have any clicking or noises as a symptom. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
If you think you have a TMJ disorder, I would advise you to see a dentist that specializes in this problem. A office visit/consultation would be the fastest way to know if you do, indeed, have a TMJ problem.

Please keep in mind that that not all of your symptoms are related to TMJ. You can have more than one medical issue going on at the same time, such as allergies or a sinus problem, so do not give up on medical evaluations in this area.

Have you had a CT scan of your sinuses and TMJ? This can often be done at the same time.