Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Ear Pains for nearly two years.
    An_249122 posted:
    For nearly two years I've been having ear pains. Most of the time the ears don't hurt but they constantly feel as if there is pressure in them like I'm in an airplane. On occasions when it's cold The ear really starts to hurt especially if I am doing some sport activity. I went to a doctor and he said he can't see anything wrong in my ear and he cleaned my ear from all wax. Any idea what it may be?
    Thank you very much.
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
    Your doctor can only see as far as your eardrum. Just because he couldn't see anything wrong, does not mean you do not have a problem. There is a lot more ear on the other side -- the middle ear/Eustachian tube, and the inner ear. If you have been having problems for two years, it is time for you to see an ENT specialist for a higher-level medical evaluation, focusing on the middle and inner ear as a source of your fullness.

    Without a thorough hands-on exam, it would not be possible to even guess what is causing your pain. There could be many things and an idea is not the same a definitive diagnosis -- something that you need and deserve.
    ADAMHBB replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
    Thank you very much for the answer.
    I was told to go to the dentist about it which I did, He said that I might be grinding my teeth. Is that a possibility? In any case what check up should I do? I've been to an ENT specialist 3 times and so far I've been told that I don't have anything visible.
    Is there any test that can be done which is more than looking into my ear for wax?

    Thank you.
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to ADAMHBB's response:
    Grinding of the teeth (Bruxism) can cause ear pain. Seeing a dentist that specializes in TMJ disorders would be the best one to see.

    Have you seen one ENT three times ,or three different ENTs? If you have only seen one, think about getting a second opinion. Yes, there are more tests.

    Helpful Tips

    Your Home Black BagExpert
    Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    32 of 54 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Focus on Flu

    Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.