Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Sore Throat with red bumps on palate
DeaMom posted:
I've had a sore throat about one week now. The first symptom was a scratchy feeling. Then it felt like something was stuck in my throat. That feeling made me cough until it felt like i had to throw up. There were white stuff on my tonsils and the back of my throat. Now I have red bumps on the palate and a low grade fever off and on. My mouth has an odd brassy/metallic taste and is very sensitive to some foods and temperature. For example I ate a nacho cheese combos snack and drank a fruit water. My mouth burned me like I was eating peppers. I had warm ramen noodles and my mouth burned like I was eating hot food.

I went to the doctor today and was told I have kawasaki. When I looked up the symptoms of kawasaki I definately know this is not the case.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Or has anyone experienced this same kind of sore throat?

Thanks,
D

DeaMom responded:
Forgot to mention, the doctor did a rapid step test and it was negative.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Two things.....

Did you doctor test you for mononucleosis (EBV panel)? And, did your doctor do a back-up throat CULTURE? (the rapid test is not 100%).

DeaMom replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
No, she did not test me for mono nor do a back-up throat culture. I did ask her about doing a throat culture and she said something along the lines of because the strep test is negative and at this point i only have red bumps she doesn't believe it's necessary for the throat culture...I did tell her my partner and I had oral sex. She asked if my partner or I have herpes, which is no. This sore throat/red bumps/odd taste of the mouth is very unusual. I'm thinking about going back to see another doctor if my symptoms do not improve by Wednesday.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to DeaMom's response:
Herpes would not be high on my list....

Do an internet search for "Strep throat photo" or "Mononucleosis photo". While these two conditions are highly variable in appearance, one of the characteristic signs of Strep are petechiae -- tiny hemorrhages that look like several red dots (not necessarily bumps). The appearance of a throat can also rapidly change. It may not look like Strep one day, than the next day, it looks like a classic case.

Getting it rechecked may be a good idea.

Herpes is not high on my list either, but I thought I would mention to her I did/do have oral sex just so she can make a proper diagnosis. I did look at pics online of both mono and strep. My throat/back of the mouth does looks like tiny hemorrhages...it's streaky looking with red lines and bumps on the palate. It looks like a canvas with streaks/running red, pale pink paint. I'm somewhat familiar with strep as my son had it earlier this year and his throat really resembled how my throat currently looks. When they did the strep test on him, the test barely showed positive. I'm definately going to get a second opinion.

Let me know how things turn out....

I did go back to the doctor on 11.28.12...they said they have not gotten back my results as yet...they'll check with the lab...how annoying...

Anyway, when I had my visit, the doctor wrote a prescription in-case I need meds after the lab results came back...for amoxicillin 500mg-take 3 times a day for 10 days.

Needless to say, I did start taking the meds w/o the lab results.

If they ever find my lab reports, I'll post the results.

DeaMom replied to DeaMom's response:
My doctor just called me. The lab results came back positive for Strep throat.

Hence, the importance of doing a back-up culture, which is 100% accurate. You are on the right medication so you should be feeling better by now.

Helpful Tips

Ear and throat pain
Hi, I have been experiencing a swollen tonsil for about three weeks, I went to the doctor mi first week and told him mi symptoms: sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.