Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Throat problem
Lilnancy posted:
For several months I have had a sore spot on the right side of my throat, intermittently, when I swallow. And Now I have a slight bad odor when I swallow and breath out through my nose. I'm really concerned about this but I don't have any insurance and can't go to a doctor. Should I be concerned?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You don't need insurace to see a medical provider, but you will have to pay for the visit....just like you have to pay the mechanic to fix your car. Too bad that our car insurance doesn't pay for repairs...that would be great.

As much as I would like to help you, I can't really examine you first hand via the Internet. Unless I could see this red spot and do a thorough examination, there is really no way for me to blindly guess as to the nature of this red spot.

Lilnancy replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you for your time and input. I understand the concept of paying for services, unfortunately I don't have the funds to pay out of pocket at this time. And I don't know if it is a red spot or not as I am unable to see the sore area myself. It seems to be just below the back of my tongue. Yes that would be nice if car insurance would pay for repairs. It also would be nice if health insurance companies weren't allowed to turn you down for pre-existing conditions. Anyway, Thanks again for your input.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Lilnancy's response:
Look around to see if you can find a free clinic in your area. Some clinics even have a "sliding scale" for the uninsured. All you really need is a medical professional to look at this area. I know that medical care is expensive (so is just about everything else, but medicine is worse), but sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet.

You are not alone being trapped in this quagmire, so see if you can find some resources in your area to help.

Helpful Tips

Earaches
I had pressure behind the eye and earache, even after using neti pot, suction machine and fluticasone. I found those worked great for ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.