Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Tonsillitis- possibly strep.
An_249170 posted:
So i went to the doctor and was tested for both strep and mono, both of which came back negative. Seeing as i also have a double ear infection he gave me some antibiotics.

He mentioned before i left that it still could be strep but just in a early stage so they couldn't tell. He said if that's the case that the antibiotics should knock it out and keep it from getting worse.

However i'm on the 5th(and last) day of the treatment, and the white patches on the back of my throat have gotten worse the last two days. The swelling seems to have gone down a bit(can swallow foods and liquids with minimal discomfort.) but the pain is still the same.

Are the increased white patches anything to worry about? Should i just keep an eye on them, and if they continue to get worse then see a doctor or will it go away on its own eventually?

Also my ear infection hasn't change at all, its still just as bad as it was the first day of treatment. Is this anything to worry about?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You need to get an EBV panel....a more sensitive test for mono. Those rapid mono tests are worthless in my opinion. Incidently, if you take antibiotics (a viral infection) and actually have mono, the symptoms will become worse. If you just had Strep (even though your test was negative), you would be better by now.

As far as your ear infection is concerned, I would need to see it to believe it. One can have terrible ear pain with mono because of the referred pain from the painful lymph nodes in the neck. If you are still having ear pain, that will need to be checked again as well.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.