Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
One of the WORST pains I have ever felt!
Conway94 posted:
About two days ago I started feeling a sore throat (didnt think to much of it, I always get a sore throat before I get a simple cold). Yesterday this simple sore throat progressed into what is now one of the worst pains I have ever felt in my throat. I have had strep throat twice when I was young and dont think that this is yet, but it feels like there is gravel in my throat whenever I swallow and it is unbearable. Also, I dont want to stand up to get medicine which is only 10 feet away because I am having horrible stomach aches. I have also had minor diarrhea, headaches, nausea, head rushes and the occasional coughing up of a thick green/yellow phlegm ball. I have no idea what is happening, but any information would be helpfull. So far no throat numbing medicine has helped what so ever.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I think your course of action is obvious. If you are truly having one of the worst pains (in your throat) that you have ever experienced, along with those other troubling symptoms, you will need to see a medical provider so that your thoat can be properly examined, diagnosed, and treated -- this is not something that can be accomplished blindly over the Internet.

Strep throat does not typically cause gastrointestinal symptoms in adults, but viral illness certainly can. Medical conditions like type A influenza, mononucleosis, acute sinusitis, etc. ALL must be considered and ruled out during a hands-on examination, and with a few diagnostic tests.

So, please get checked out today, if you haven't done so already. Information is not really what you need right now....you need medical care.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.