Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
middle and inner ear infection with hearing loss
jezzabelle1991 posted:
hi ive been having a middle and inner ear infection with hearing loss that comes and gos since about june and ive been on the z pak at least 3 times with 2 different doses and at least 3 other antibiotics with none of it working. Ive seen 2 different ents that say its just an middle and inner ear infection. Ive also been on ear drops which made the symptoms worse. I dont know what to do anymore im getting embarrased because sometimes I cant hear what people are saying to me. Any suggestions and comments are welcome. Thank You

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You have to appreciate the difficulty in making any patient-specific suggestions about your care, since I do not you, your medical history, or have any way of examining you and delving into your case.

Inner ear and middle ear infections are two, totally different creatures that are treated different ways. Eardrops, unless you had tubes in your ears or a rupture, would be absolutely worthless for either one. Zithromax would only helf a susceptable middle ear problem, but 60% of the bacterial pathogens are thought to be resistant to it now. It would NOT touch an inner ear problem.

Having hearing loss may be your most critical problem right now, so my only suggestion -- since I cannot diagnose or treat you blindly over the Internet -- would be for you to have high-level ENT evaluation at a large, university-based medical center ENT department. The collaborative resources at these large teaching and research institutions may offer you the best chance of effectively managing this 1/2 year long problem.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.