Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Tonsillitis one side worse than the other
jojonic posted:
Please help! I've been suffering tonsil pain since Wednesday and had assumed it was just a passing virus as my daughter had been suffering with a cold.

Since Friday this has got a lot worse. I can barely swallow small sips of water without crying in pain and the swelling seems far worse off the right than the left. It feels as if my whole throat is popping out of my neck on that side, and it's started to cause pain in my ear too.

I have read about these abscesses you can get on one tonsil that are bad news... But how do you know if you have one? And how long should you delay treatment? I know my doctor will see me tomorrow at some point, but right now I feel like going to a&e cos I can't take much more.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Yes, if you have a peritonsillar abscess (one tonsil considerably larger and more painful), with obstruction of swallowing, you should not wait. A peritonsillar abscess, if you did have one, will need to be drained. The ER or an ENT on call for the ER can do it. I doubt that your doctor will do this in the office, so this may just delay care. You are correct about the urgency of this situation. Since I have no way of examining you to know if you have an abscess or not, my advice is for you to go to the ER....now.

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.