Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Persistent sore tonsil and throat weeks after cold(s)
Tav10284 posted:
Hello all,

About four weeks ago, I came down with one cold. Got over it for a week, came down with another (or maybe the same one?). Now I am finally over the cold, but in the mornings, I still have crud that comes out of my chest with coughs and constant throat clearing in the morning.

My coughs were pretty bad, bad enough to hurt a lower back muscle. But the coughs have since quit.

What has bothered me the most lately (besides the prior cough) has been a sore left tonsil (my left). At first, right after I was getting over the second cold, both tonsils were sore. The right one quit being sore, though. The left one is swollen from what I can tell. I'm not a doctor, however.

Today and yesterday, the soreness has kind of moved in a sense. It's almost as if the soreness is similar to when you are about to cry and your throat hurts.

I went to a doctor last week regarding my coughs and sore tonsil. She looked at my tonsil and said it was a little swollen. She asked if I wanted anything for the coughs and I declined as I was pretty much over the coughing by then, except for morning time.

I do not understand why my soreness would move down my throat and feel like a "crying" soreness. It is maybe half and inch below the laryngeal prominence. I'm still blowing some partially green mucus out, but only in the morning, and not much. I feel fine otherwise.

Any thoughts?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
The soreness can be from post-nasal drainage or from breathing through your mouth at night (when your nose is clogged). Assuming that you do not have Strep or having reflux, this would be the most likely cause.

I don't think this is the "same cold" but rather a back to back viral infection from a new virus (there are about 200 different types out there just waiting to meet you).

Humidify your air at night. Drink lots of water. Ibuprofen for the inflammation. Wait it out another week or so and see if things don't start to improve.

Tav10284 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks Dr. Moser!

The Dr. I went to see said that my throat wasn't inflamed and red, so she did not do a Strep test.

I'll see how it goes after another week. Thanks again for your fast response! You are awesome!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Tav10284's response:
You are very welcome. I hope that you feel better soon.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.