Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ringing in ears after loud benefit concert.....
llmick posted:
Hello.
I'm looking for some optimistic words. Almost 4 1/2 weeks ago my husband and I attended a benefit concert. We have four small children and RARELY go out let along to a 'bar' to listen to a band with a group of people who go out A LOT! My hubby and I are pretty much 'party poopers' as we usually chose to spend time at home with our kids. Well, we agreed to go and originally thought we would just go to dinner. Dinner was somewhat loud and when the band started up it became very loud. I was determined to not be a 'party pooper' (stupid me for caring what others think...but I do feel that if you say 'no' too many times you end up never being asked...if I only knew). So, we stayed the entire time. I would say it was a 3 hour ordeal with 2 intersessions and will also note that I was drug to the front. When hubby and I left (remarking how we really did not enjoy it but noting it was for a good cause) our ears were ringing and things were a bit muffled....we thought this to be normal remembering back to when we were in our later teens/early twenties and we did attend a few concerts. We figured we would go to sleep and wake up fine. Well, we woke up with ears still ringing...it did stop mid-afternoon so we thought we were good....next day it came back. I am HIGH anxiety and when there is a bump in my road I can't help but focus on it. I called others in the group we went with to see how they were...responses 'I didn't think the music was even that loud' and no one else we were with seemed to be suffereing from the ringing/pressure that we have. Neither my hubby nor I have gone to and ENT but I did go to my regular dr. about 5 days after and she said eveything looked good and it would go away but it will take time.
Since that evening there has been good days and bad days and reallllly good days where we think we are done with it and realllly bad days where I have a hard time thinking it will ever go away. I've even had 2-3 days stretches of no ringing-but then it comes back. I will also mention that previous to this episode happening I had no ringing nor did my husband. I've always felt I had really good hearing and I don't think my hearing is bad/worse but when the ringing is really bad I feel I can't hear as well-over the ringing! I will also mention that before this and for the last several years I have horrible allergies which I treat with Rx meds-nasocort and clarinex which helps a little but allergies are ALWAYS there to some degree-hubby is the same. Previous I had popping ears and I can actually (hope my 'lingo' is correct-hold open my estachian tubes so that I can make sounds in the back of my throught and they are 'magnified/louder' in my ears-does that make sense?) Not too long ago I was sitting in a class-pre 'trauma' and my ears were popping so much I would hold my tubes open just to make the popping quite-only for short spans.

My hubby doesn't have the pressure or popping ears to this day as I do and after the concert I have had more pressure and popping. I think my ears are more sensitive to sound-I know now and even before...my ear 'vibrates'? (sounds like as if you have water in it?). It's always done this a little-what is that about?

Anyway, here are my questions and I really hoping for positive answers
-Do you think my ears and my hubbies will heal? I think I read somewhere where statistically it normally heals.
-Avoiding loud sounds-yes-I will-but wondering-school concerts for the kids??? I have one in orchestra, one in show choir and we also have just the normal music concerts for school-wear earplugs? don't go (not sure I want that option)--I've been telling the kids we need to be quiet...is there a need for this?
-Anything that can speed recovery? think I know the answer.
-do I need to go to an ENT?
-Why when I wake up it's fine and then it starts-or-this is weird-there are times when it's ringing-I nap for 20 mintues-it's gone!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Your questions....

Do you think my ears and my hubbies will heal? I think I read somewhere where statistically it normally heals.

YES, YOU ARE CORRECT. THE BODY DOES A REMARKABLE JOB REPAIRING ACOUSTIC DAMAGE. WHILE THERE IS NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOUR EARS WILL BE NORMAL AGAIN, STATISTCIALLY YOU WILL BE FINE IN ANOTHER MONTH OR SO. CROSS THOSE OPTIMISTIC FINGERS.

-Avoiding loud sounds-yes-I will-but wondering-school concerts for the kids??? I have one in orchestra, one in show choir and we also have just the normal music concerts for school-wear earplugs? don't go (not sure I want that option)--I've been telling the kids we need to be quiet...is there a need for this?

YOU BET. AVOID ANY MORE ACOUSTIC INJURIES. SECRETLY WEAR EARPLUGS TO YOUR KIDS BAND CONCERT.

-Anything that can speed recovery? think I know the answer.

NO (PROBABLY YOUR ANSWER, TOO). TIME IS THE GREAT HEALER.

-do I need to go to an ENT?

MAYBE. IT HAS BEEN A MONTH ALREADY, SO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR BOTH OF YOU IN ANOTHER MONTH. IF YOU ARE BETTER, JUST CANCEL IT. IT IS EASIER TO CANCEL AN ENT APPOINTMENT THAT GET ONE. YOU SHOULD GET A HEARING ASSESSMENT AT THAT TIME AS WELL.

-Why when I wake up it's fine and then it starts-or-this is weird-there are times when it's ringing-I nap for 20 mintues-it's gone!

TINNITUS IS LIKE THAT. THE FACT THAT IT EVEN GOES AWAY AT TIMES IS EXCELLENT NEWS AND PERHAPS AN INDICATION THAT YOU ARE IMPROVING.

HOPEFULL, THIS WAS THE ENCOURAGING WORDS YOU NEEDED

Let me know how things are with you and your hubby in about a month. Stay busy and don't let any of these symptoms slow you down or ruin your holidays. Hopefully, no one will give you concert tickets as a gift. If they do...sell 'em or re-gift them.

llmick replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Yes, I will hold on to the 'hope'. One more questions....I went and got a haircut today...was thinking while I was in there...boy...it's loud in here...expecially with the hair dryer going on my head....then I thought...is this 'normal' amount of noise that I've been used to in the past bad for me right now. So, maybe I'm being too.....something...but should I wear earplugs when I blow dry my hair?

Also...even before I went to the appt...I took the stairs up to my office...that really set my right ear...which isn't the one with the most issues....off....like a teapot...of course then I went to the hair place and now they are both going....did I do more damage??? Also, is there a 'rule of thumb' in this healing period where I know if I should have plugs or not?

One more question...so when people heal...what are good indicators that it's on the mend....you mentioned having periods of it not present...anything else....and when people do heal do they just wake up one day and it's not there?

This has been horrible...I feel for anyone who has experienced it. It has changed my life this last month. I have anxiety so I'm sure that does not help.

Also, any ideas on my questions about my estachian tubes...is that 'normal'?

I do thank you for all your input and advice.

llmick replied to llmick's response:
I forgot one thing...I was at the dentist (check up) and they said I have a cracked filling....so I need to get it replaced....I keep pushing it out due to not wanting any 'noise' in my head...am I being rediculous? Will going and having my teeth worked on with that high pitched drill do more damage..I can wear ear protection but it's 'inside so I didn't know....I also have noticed a back tooth of mine is having issues so i need to have that looked at also....I'm 41 by the way and apparently falling apart!!!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to llmick's response:
Many people wtih tinnitus experience an increase in sensitivity to everyday sounds, so this is not unusual. As the tinnitus improves, this should abate as well (hopefully). I think you should use earplugs in noisy or uncomfortable environments until you are better...however long that takes. The noise of the hairdryer should not cause additional damage...it is just uncomfortably loud right now.

As far as your question about Eustachian tube problem, keep in mind that a person can have more than one issue going on. Acoustic trauma typically does not cause ETD, but many other things may....such as allergies, which you have.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to llmick's response:
It depends on sensitive your hearing is right now. Dental pain bypasses air conduction hearing, by a direct "bone conduction", so you will just have to see if dental work is a problem. I think I would try it....since a cracked tooth or filling can become worse and you have no idea how long your ears are going to be problematic.

Helpful Tips

Earaches
I had pressure behind the eye and earache, even after using neti pot, suction machine and fluticasone. I found those worked great for ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.