Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Left ear slightly clogged
BenBelgium posted:
Hi there,

While I was in belgium a while back, I had a cold for a couple of weeks. I saw a doctor and she informed me I might have sinusitis. A week after that, I flew back to the USA. All was well until we were landing. I got immense pressure on my face. It only lasted about 10 minutes but it really did hurt. So I quickly used nasal spray and it went away. I kept using the nasal spray for a week and then I felt my problems were gone.

Now about 5 weeks later I am starting to notice my left ear is a little clogged. I am not sure if it has to do with that or if it has been clogged ever since, because I just noticed it last week. It's only the left ear, and it does not hurt and there's no ringing. I feel like it needs to "pop". I can still hear everything like usually but it just feels like it's clogged up a little. Sometimes, it'll feel like it's a little worse, like when you fly and your ears feel clogged but blowing or chewing gum doesn't help and it usually disappears by itself in 5-10 minutes.

I've recently started running again and notice that after my run my left ear feels clogged as well.

I made an appointment with my doctor (but I am Belgian and I am only flying back the 20th so I have the aptmnt on the 24th...)

I am one of those people that worries and assumes the worst. So right now I am thinking I am either going deaf or got permanent damage because of that pressure in the plane.

Please advise.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You definitely need to be examined, and I think you should be examined again in Belgium BEFORE you fly back to the U.S. again. You are having symptoms of middle ear pressure, usually due to Eustachian tube problems, so flying (or at least, landing) could be problematic for from the pressure changes. Get it check out before you fly, because there are things that can be prescribed that may help or rectify this problem

Your sinusitis, if you still had it, coud be contributory to the ear pressure and Eustachian tube problems.

BenBelgium replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Hi doc,

I went to an ENT today and she did some tests. She said hearing was fine, did a pressure test and that was normal too. She suspects I might have Eustachian tube dysfunction. She gave me Sinus Rinse and Veramyst. She told me to use this for a week and if it didn't get better to call her and she would probably prescribe antibiotics. She also said it would be no rel danger to fly but it might cause some discomfort.

Thanks for helping, appreciate it

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to BenBelgium's response:
I am sure that you will have an uneventful flight home. The Veramyst should really help.

BenBelgium replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks again doc

It's been two days and the bad ear opened up but the other one is getting blocked now. I am wondering if I should call the doctor now or wait until Tuesday as she said. The 'blockage' feels less intense during the day but mainly happens when I wake up and at night. I also feel like it opens up more easily when i stand up!

At least I don't feel as worried anymore

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to BenBelgium's response:
I am not sure there is much more that can be done or tried, other than oral steroids. Keep taking the Veramyst.....

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.