Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
water behind my eardrums
An_249325 posted:

I am having issues with water behind my eardrums. I have a lot of hearing lost in my right ear and it is starting become an issue at my work place. I did start out with an ear infection and it took two rounds of antibiotics to fix the infection. After the infection was gone I still have water behind my ears. I have been taking the generic for flonase, and the generic for xyzal. And the congestion that I have had for a long time has not subsided. I recently started using a neti pot but I have a very hard time getting any water to go though my nose. It seems like my sinuses may be much clogged. Are there any other meds I could try to get rid of the congestion. I have also tried musinex that worked the past for a short period. Also are there another prescription drugs that I could use injunction with the neti pot to break up the mucus more?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
If you have had middle ear fluid (effusion) more than three months, it is time for you to see an ENT. Sometime, medications will not solve this "plumbing and ventilation" problem, so tubes may be indicated. Since you are having related hearing loss, this is a concern.

You are doing what most clinicians would do medically right now and it is not working for you. You are not using decongestants, but their effectiveness has not be proven to be that helpful either.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.