Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
throat pain
An_249417 posted:
For about a month now I have had dull annoying throat pain. It started with pricking pain under the jaw, down to the collar bone, and a little tingling here and there. Just about 2 weeks ago then the pain set in. I have pain under my chin. Also, it feels as if I have strained by voice box, like I have been singing. The back of my throat is also a little sore.There is some pain when swallowing. Clearing my throat throughout the day. I saw my GP and she said I have a few tonsil stones but didn't see anything else. She referred me to an ENT, but the appointment won't be until late January. I don't know what it could be.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
And, neither did your GP, so this is why you were referred. There can be many reasons, so your GP wanted you evaluated at a higher level. To try and guess which one (or more) the many possiblities to account for you symptoms right now would really be futile.

I suspect the ENT will "scope" your throat to get a better, first-hand look, than just having you say "Ahhhhh". Sinuses could be involved, so the ENT will also consider this as a possibility. Allergies? Even reflux/GERD can cause annoying throat pain. Everyone worries about those serious causes, so the ENT will be ruling those out as well.

I am sorry that you have to wait until the end of January to have your ENT consultation, but try not to worry.

mischa5 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
So I am a little scared... maybe a lot scared. Just last night my throat was hurting and I needed to clear my throat. Which I did and spit out blood streaked mucous. Maybe I will not wait for the ENT appointment in January. I think I will go ahead and try to see if I can get in to see any ENT. Am I overreacting?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to mischa5's response:
Yes, you may be over-reacting a bit. Don't let a streak of blood push you over the edge. This is VERY common, since this area is rich in blood supply. The least bit of inflammation can cause some bleeding.

Call the ENT office and offer to take any cancelled appointments that may open up sooner than the one you have.

mischa5 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I was able to get an appointment with an ENT at the end of the month.

Helpful Tips

Earaches
I had pressure behind the eye and earache, even after using neti pot, suction machine and fluticasone. I found those worked great for ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.