Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Lymph Node Questions
TheImpatientPatient posted:
I'm no doctor nor rocket surgeon (wink), but I'm just about positive I have a swollen tonsil or lymph node. I have a few questions that hopefully a professional could answer to give me some insight and ideas what to do.

1. Although smoking is an irritant, does smoking directly impact the lymph nodes and/or tonsils & do they cause inflammation?
  2. Does caffeine also have a direct impact on the inflammation of said glands?
  3. I grind/lock my jaw hard when I sleep...would this in any way affect the glands below my jaw?
  4. Neither Acetaminophen nor Naproxin work, but Asprin takes the pain away for 10 minutes if I take 3 Bayer. Since you don't know my bodily function at all, is there a better home remedy than an NSAID?

TheImpatientPatient responded:
To better understand how I work, I'm a hispanic male, weigh 500 lbs. (haven't been weighed lately), stand at 6 ft. 5in. and smoke menthol cigarettes regularly. If none of that speaks death sentence then I don't know what does lol.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Smoking is definitely an irritant. If you do have a reactive node in your neck or tonsillar area, then this could be your main culprit. Caffeine should not cause an issue.
Bruxism (grinding your teeth) can result in inflammation, so this could be contributory.

You are not going to cure a node with acetaminophen, aspirin, or an NSAID. If this node is hard, not movable, tender or not, and is persistent and/or growing, you need to have it examined by a medical provider - usually an ENT. Because you are a smoker, you need to know that this lump is not a sign of anything serious.

Give some serious thought to smoking cessation.

TheImpatientPatient replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Now I know that doctors do not recommend eCigarettes as an alternative, but would using an eCigarette (consisting of atomized vapor rather than smoke) be an alternative or would the nicotine still irritate the gland(s)? I intend to wean myself off of cigarettes, but I would need a nicotine replacement that gives me the oral fixation a patch, gum, nor pill provide.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to TheImpatientPatient's response:
Probably, but the irritant from vaporized nicotine would not likely be as problematic as a cigarette. As long as the eCigarettes help you stop, I am all for it.

TheImpatientPatient replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I wish to thank you personally for all the help you've provided me. I appreciate it tremendously!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to TheImpatientPatient's response:
You are very welcome....and I hope you will be successful in your smoking cessation efforts.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.