Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Lump Behind My Ear
hillaryheller posted:
I have had a hard, unmovable lump on the temporal bone behind my right ear for a year or more now. It isn't painful to touch but it often causes pain in, around my ear, and where the lump is. It is the size of a dime now but was smaller when I first found it. Not sure if this is related to the lump but my scalp has been quite itchy(no bugs or dandruff), and a couple of night these past few weeks, right above my ear with the lump, I get a tingling sensation in my head(like you feel when your foot or hand falls asleep) but I had not even been laying on that side of my head, and it was in one little spot.Not sure what it is but I did some research and I don't think it is a lymph node because of the fact that it is on the bone and it has not gone away. But I'm not sure. Should I be worried?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Obviously, without the ability to examine you first-hand (not something the Internet has been able to orchestrate), I can't tell you exactly what this lump may be, but there are post-auricular lymph nodes that can lie over the mastoid bone, and those nodes can "react" to the inflammation from an itchy scalp. I am not saying that this is what you have, but it is one possibility.

With that said, I think you need to get it checked out professionally, namely because it is hard and non-moveable (fixed), so see your medical provider or get a referral to an ENT. This will help put your mind at ease.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.