Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
raw throat but no cough
mischa5 posted:
I am a little puzzled by my symptoms. I feel my throat is raw and sore but I have not experienced any bouts of cough. Usually when I have a raw throat and chest, I have been coughing up a storm. This time around my throat is raw, but it's not due to coughing. I saw a doctor a couple days ago and he didn't seem to believe that I hadn't been coughing. I was prescribed cough syrup with codeine to calm my coughs so my raw throat could heal, but I have not been coughing.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I would be puzzled, too.....a prescription for codeine cough medicine when you are not coughing? Interesting.

Did the doctor check your throat for Strep, or just assume, based on his exam, that the cause of your sore throat was viral?

mischa5 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
He did not test for Strep. It was an ER doctor who attended to me. During my ER visit, I had an EKG done since I felt chest pain (rawness, uncomfortable feeling in upper chest and throat) which came out normal. I had a chest x-ray done which also came out normal. So since everything came out fine, he diagnosed me with bronchitis and gave me cough syrup with codeine, an inhaler, and antacid (for reflux). He also mentioned the raw throat could be viral and could last a few weeks. But he refused to believe that I have not been coughing. He said the rawness in my throat was brought on by so much coughing. So I didn't want to be sarcastic with him and tell him that in the three hours that I have been in the ER room while he was coming back and forth attending to me that I have not once coughed.

My only symptoms were a really bad sore/raw throat and a raw feeling in my chest. I truly don't know why he would give me such a diagnosis. So I just left with not much to say about it.

Since my chest x-ray was normal I can only assume that it was my esophagus that was raw, not the chest. I do feel better now without taking any of the prescriptions. However, I still plan on seeing the ENT I am scheduled to see in a couple weeks.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to mischa5's response:
That is really a wild story....A doctor telling you that you are coughing, when you are NOT! He needs to get a few more lessons in listening skills.

Gone is Good. The fact that you are better seems to indicate that a self-limiting viral infection may have been at play, but at this point, I am pleased you are better.

A follow up with the ENT is the right thing to do. Hopefully, the ENT will not blame everything on a phantom cough.....

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.