Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ear infection with foul drainage
jlie0813 posted:
12 years ago I was treated for a chronic ear infection. I had to have surgery to fix my ear drum and a mastoidectomy for the drainage. I also had gangrene. Two weeks ago I noticed my hearing was decreased and my ear felt full. I was getting dark wet ear wax when I cleaned my ear. Now my ear is draining greenish yellow pus. head aches, pain on the affected side and hearing loss loosing my balance/dizziness. I am on po amoxicillin, but am worried that it may not be enough d/t my previous history.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I worry that the amoxicillin is not sufficient either. You need to get in to see your ENT as soon as you can so that your ear can be properly assessed. I do suspect you will need to be treated more aggressively, based on your history.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.