Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Nasal Polyps - not a happy life :-(
adhir posted:
Greetings,

I have nasal polyps since 2009, I went to see a doctor, he gave me some nasal spray and some steroids as well to shrink them and then I got the surgery done in 2009. After surgery it came back and I am suffering so much, I can't sleep, I can't breathe thru my nose. I am doing nasal saline every night and I am taking Allegra d to just sleep well. Please recommend me something so I can live my happy life. God bless all the doctors

Thank you in advance!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
New polyps can form, so ou may end needing surgery again if your nasal airway is compromisded. Nasal corticosteroids can help, but they can only do so much....they will not "cure" polyps, but may only temporarily shrink them.

There is not much that you can do at home, other than what you are doing now. You need to see the ENT again.

Have you been allergy tested?

adhir replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
First of all, thank you so much for reply and Yes I have been tested, I am allergic to Trees, Roaches, pollen, dust. I was actually reading an article and someone suggested to do saline with manuka honey. I have been doing that before I go to sleep every night. And also someone recommend me to try Tea Tree Oil , use a Q tip and put that oil on polyps and it will fall off from the nose in less than a week. What do you recommend?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to adhir's response:
Polyps falling off in a week from using tea tree oil? Never heard of that in my four-decade career. Obviously, I am highly skeptical and cannot endorse this at all.

I am not sure what you are planning on doing with the Manuka honey and saline...are you putting it up your nose? Saline is fine, but I am not sure I would want honey up my nose.

There have been numerous studies with honey as a cough suppressant (the type of honey was irrelevant in the studies), but I am no familiar if it would help polyps. Since honey can have trace pollen, this is something you should run by your allergies first.

adhir replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you for the prompt reply. I can see why you would be surprised and I was a little too at first. I have been reading a lot about this and this is some information that I collected from reading peoples reviews and experiences. I wanted to run it by an expert before trying it.

I am using a nasal spray right now and it doesn't seem to be of much help as I still have sleepless nights due to trouble breathing. I am trying to avoid another surgery as much as I can because polyps regrow and I did have a complication with my last surgery.

Is there anything else I can do to get rid of them? Also, if I have to undergo another surgery, is there a way I can prevent them from reoccurring? And lastly, what is the underlining cause of polyps and why does it occur in people? (I have never had asthma or sinus problems before)

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to adhir's response:
Other than surgery, there is really nothing that I know for you to do to get rid of your polyps,nor prevent new ones from forming. I wish their were.....

Polyps are often called "inflammatory growths", so anything that causes inflammation can do it.This is way steroidal nasal sprays are often recommended. Nasal polyps may run in families. Allergies, even if you have never been diagnosed with them, are among the most common cause of polyps.

So, are you going to try that tea tree oil? If you do, please try and get more information from somone who uses and/or recommends it.

Helpful Tips

Ear and throat pain
Hi, I have been experiencing a swollen tonsil for about three weeks, I went to the doctor mi first week and told him mi symptoms: sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.