Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3.Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Bleeding from ear?
    KatHowe0408 posted:
    My boyfriend was cleaning his ears tonight and after removing a disturbing amount of wax from one ear be removed a small amount of dried blood from the opposite ear. I personally think he just irritated a spot that may have already been irritated, but should I be more worried than I am and should I take him to the hospital?
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
    Hospital? No. There is really nothing in your posting that would indicate the need to go to a hospital. If you want to do something, throw away those Q-tips and he won't damage his ear next time.

    Obviously, I have no way to look inside your boyfriend's ear to find the source of the blood. A tiny amount is probably from the ear canal (like you suspected); a larger amount of blood could come from a ruptured eardrum caused by the Qtip. Assuming he is not in pain or having any more bleeding, I think it would be fine to just let it be for now.

    Helpful Tips

    Drugs and reactions
    As long as we're on the subject of reactions that Dr.s say they have never seen problems with their large number of patients over the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Focus on Flu

    Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.