Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    An_249618 posted:
    A couple of months ago my daughter had staph. She was treated and then got it back one more time. Interim I had gotten a small bump on my face and was also treated.

    -----4 weeks ago I had a bump in my nose - It felt like an in grown hair and it hurt so bad. It was hot to touch, bright red on the outside of my nose and I felt like I got punched in the nose. The doctor did not culture but gave me antibiotics to treat. I had her look in my ear because I had a small scratch - she said it was fine and didn't really see anything. I took all my antibiotics and the painful bump in my nose went away.

    ----2 weeks ago I had a really bad ear ache. The back of my ear and down the side of my knew hurt really bad. Like I was hit in the side of the head. My ear felt plugged and fuzzy. I had a small bump in my ear and it was making the hole in my ear sort of deformed looking. The left ear was burning hot as well as the left side of my face.
    I went to see my doctor and he gave me antibiotics for Cellulitis. He did not do a culture but it seemed to have work until 2 days ago. I took all my antibiotics and I am starting to have the same issue. I have a bump in my nose and now I am having bad pain in my ear and fuzzy plugged feeling.

    What do I do?
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
    Obviously, you need to contact your medical provider again. Culturing the bump inside your nose may reveal Staph (again) or a variance of Staph called MRSA. MRSA can be very challenging to treat and the infections can become serious relatively fast. It would not surprise me to find that you also have the same bug in your ear canal.

    A systemic antibiotic is needed in most cases, and perhaps an anti-Staph ointment for you nose (mirpiricin / Bactroban).

    What oral antibiotic did you take last time?
    lisa7190 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:

    I dont recall the antibiotic off the top of my head but not that I am reading your comment, I did get mirpiricin ointment for my nose. The sore that is is my nose now is dried up and I don't feel one in my ear although it is very painful.

    To be honest I am not happy with this doctor at all. He doesn't explain anything and just brushes me along. He was the only one to see "after" hours. My regular doctor told me I should see him again since he diagnosed the first time.
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to lisa7190's response:
    You should see your regular doctor since you trust him more....even if he tries to punt you to after-hours clinic. When you tell him that, he will not object to following your case.

    Helpful Tips

    Your Home Black BagExpert
    Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    32 of 54 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Focus on Flu

    Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.