Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ears!
GemSloan posted:
Hi - can you help - I've been having problems with my ears for a few months now. It started after a cold, I got tinnitus in one ear. The tinnitus got a bit better and has now plateaued, it's much milder.

However, my ears seem to flare up regularly. They feel blocked, inflammed, full and uncomfortable every few weeks. Also, they are hard to pop or pop all the time and the top if my throat feels sore (not like razor sore, like when you're getting poorly, more uncomfortable). The tinnitus also comes back.

My doc seems to think I'm making it up as it flares up and then goes away again. Could it be allergies? Can you get allergies just in your ear? Help!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Allergies tend to by systemic (whole body) but certain parts of our body (ears, nose, throat, sinuses, lungs, skin) can be more affected than other, so yes, it can just involve your ears. In your case, it is most likely your Eustachian tubes. E-tube issues do come and go, so I know you are not making this up.

What are you taking for your allergies right now, or what is your doctor doing to help you?

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.